You’re right, I did already know where we were going, though you already seemed to know what we were going to do…
We pack our stuff back up in the car (it could really stand to get washed – maybe it’ll rain. “Whoa! hold it right there buster. You said we’d had enough rain for now.” Did I? I thought I had you say it – anyway, you’re the one who brought us to the northwest, I’m just looking for a way to get out of washing the car.). Well, we can leave the car for now and grab that cup of coffee, sit down, and figure out the trip.
“Can I see your West Coast map?”
Yeah, as soon as I get back. Café au Lait?
“If it looks like they know how.” (Cinnamon? It’d be too Gallic to assume.)
Here you go. Clear some table room for the map.
“We going North [shaking head]? Or South [nodding]?”
Subtle, but wrong both times, we’re going West.
“Here, let me have that map. You sure you know how to read one?”
All yours – West Coast of Australia. So we won’t need the car for this one – we can leave it here to get rained on in our absence. Meanwhile, off to Melbourne...
From the terminal, we’ll head straight to the tram station with our carry-ons: we won’t need much (not that you and I ever do).
It’s shirtsleeves and shorts weather in downtown Melbourne so make sure you’ve brought those before we go (Shave? Is that going to be a problem? “Vorsicht!” Okay, abrupt change of subject, let’s get back). Summertime, not only warm, but an extra-long day to get some stuff done in (“You do know it’s late fall in Melbourne right now?” Well, I had to change that: you didn’t want rain, and today in Melbourne real-time it’s 48 degrees and mostly cloudy, that just wouldn’t do). Actually it’s already gotten late – just as well we skip a meal before going out on the water.
(“Copy Cat.” Hey, I had this idea independently, it was already in the notebook. In fact, I suspect you might’ve read ahead and stolen it from me. “Well, let’s just share it then, and not worry about who had it first. Try to do a good job with my idea though.” Right. I don’t think the marine biologist in you will mind how it turns out.)
We might as well just walk down the river to the docks. We should be able to get someone to point us to the right boats from there.
“There’s a sign for ‘Dolphin Cruises’.”
That’s it, I hope we can still catch one.
“Looks like the first ones just left, and the next one doesn’t go until this afternoon.”
Wait here a bit, would you? Let me see what I can work out.
After a few minutes in the boat house, I come back out. Okay! Let’s go: Dolphin Cruise just for two.
“How’d you do that?”
Well, I just appealed to their better angels – certainly a relationship strong enough to get us all the way across the globe for a day shouldn’t have to miss out from being 15 minutes late.
“They really went for that?”
Well, something like that, they’re really poetic people here, plus some cash. Besides, if they were gonna be sticklers about it, I’d just go back and rewrite us in 20 minutes earlier. (“Don’t do that, it takes you long enough to finish these as it is.” Right, well anyway…)
The sky is clear with a light breeze sweeping it, and the water is a deep blue. The sun sparkles off the waves and the boat’s wake as we head out into the ocean. The Captain’s got some French bread and a variety of cheeses for us, which we leave mostly untouched. You look all adventurous standing on deck with the wind blowing your hair back (How come your hair’s not blowing? Hat, I suppose?” Nope, I just got it cut, not enough of it left to blow).
We get out to where the dolphins are, and we drop anchor and help set out the buoys. The dolphins are clearly used to this – they keep their distance while we finish preparations, coming a little closer to investigate as we slip into the water. Don’t be so quick to leave me behind, eh?
“I still think you’re a better swimmer than that.”
Nothing I dislike more than to fall short of your expectations, but this is as good as my swimming gets: effective, that’s the best that can be said of it.
You circle me as I work my way away from the boat. A little playful splash-fighting ensues. I try to pick up my pace a bit to move from the center of your circles to the circumference with you. Now it’s become almost a game of tag, and we try to keep each other guessing. Changing direction or speed, diving…, at a pause, we suddenly realize the dolphins have moved closer to join the game.
Um, you know, when they move in like that it’s a little spooky.
“You can’t be spooked, it was your idea.”
The next time one swims between us, we both reach toward it, and you actually manage to stroke its side. It circles back quicker and tighter behind me to come back between us and pause. This time we both get an opportunity to put a hand on each side of it, which it allows for a moment or two before kicking off again. This time it circles back underneath us, popping up to chortle and whistle at us. I try to mimic it (Him? he acts like a him), but he just splashes me in response, and now you’re both chortling at me.
We spend another half hour in the water, and meet a few other dolphins, but it’s about time to head back in (I didn’t pay that much), and anyway, I can’t keep my head above water much longer. Our first new friend follows me over to the boat and gives me a puff of spray through his blowhole as I climb back into the boat. He looks after me long enough to get a quick shot of him in the background of a picture of Snowman at the rail of the deck.
You stay out to make the most of the rest of our time, but now it is time to get back in. Here, I’ll give you a hand back up.
“Always finding some way to hold my hand aren’t you?”
Fine. Climb in without my help.
“That one was pretty good, except you still smiled a bit when you said it. And it should come out shorter and sharper. So now you’re not gonna take my hand just to be stubborn?”
Just wait, the story’s not over yet.
“Fine.”
Oh, now I’m starting to get it.
I’m tired from all the swimming, so we take a river taxi back up river to the center of town. We gotta get back to the tram station and catch one out of town for about 45 minutes (we should try not to fall asleep – might wake up somewhere’s else before I’m done with this one) or so, then pick up a small van to a vineyard for a tasting.
“Really? Warum?”
Again, just thought you’d like it, plus I’m determined to learn from you. And, finally, I’d like to pick up from the fatigue and slide into mellow; sit in a beautifully lush green setting, in the afternoon, letting the rest of the day slide by.
“You do over-schedule us sometimes.”
Yeah, still working on the virtue of sitting quietly – thought this afternoon we’d help each other learn.
The breeze is here too, which just keeps us warm, but not too warm, under a shade tree at our table. Pinot Noir is the most popular variety. How is it? How do you describe that? I can tell these two are different, but couldn’t describe how.
“Remember: ‘working on sitting quietly’?”
Okay, another time then. Let me take your empty glass for you.
I catch your hand between mine and the glass briefly before switching hands to get the glass free.
“Some kinda ‘smooth’ way of holding my hand?”
Really, it was just an accident. If we could agree to focus on that less, it might actually become possible again.
“Okay, I’ll try. For you.”
You’re so gracious, and selfless, and sarcastic, and I thank you with all my heart.
“So, the sun’s going down, you’ve arranged to have me drink some wine; you gonna hold my hand now as the sun goes down over the vineyard?”
Wow, that is a good one. Green below, purple and blue up high, pink and orange in the middle, with just a hint of white and shadow from some wispy clouds. But, to answer your question, no, not holding your hand now either, too obvious.
“Well, I need my hand free for this anyway” – and you run your fingers through the tickly stubbly hair on the back and base of my head.
Lumpy without the hair to cover it all up, ain’t it?
“Shh, go back to the sunset why don’t you?”
Okay, the purple is gradually starting to deepen and dominate now that the sun is nearly below the horizon. The orange fades to an uncomplicated red, with just a bright yellow underpinning, that’s…, just…, about…, out. Now there’s no sun left, with just a red to blue western sky with bright white highlights in the high clouds. With the competition gone, the thin silver crescent moon seems to brighten.
I’m really about as mellow as I can be. If we don’t get up I’m going to slip into sleep. Will you take a walk through the vineyard with me?
“I was hoping we would, but you brought up that ‘sitting still’ thing.”
After you, no, after you, but I insist, no I couldn’t,…
“What?”
We’re so anxious to get out of each other’s way today. Let’s take that walk.
A suggestion of mist is rising among the rows of vines as the air temperature drops just a bit. It swirls around our ankles as we walk over the low rolling hills. Most of the vines are either flowering or budding. Here and there a moonflower vine has snuck in among the grapevines and been allowed to stay, and their bright white blooms are starting to open as they cool. Sniff one: they’re lovely and understated, and the scent lingers in your mind long after you’ve smelled it.
“Mmm, Hmm.”
The top of the next hill is clear. It’d be a nice place to watch the stars coming out if it didn’t mean sitting on the wet ground. I should’ve thought to bring a blanket…
(“Wait, didn’t I bring one?” What do you mean, where did you get one? “Look smarty, just do something with that pen of yours.” Okay, let me just put a few words in your mouth to make it seem reasonable…)
“Help me spread this blanket out.”
Where’d you get that?
“It was on the chair before, I thought it might come in handy.”
You’re so smart.
I sit on you left, you sit on my right. The southern sky is a bit confusing, don’t usually see some of these constellations. I try to point some out with my right hand. There’s Orion – can always spot him. Over there’s Canis Major, so, that’s gotta be Canis Minor; between the two dogs is the Unicorn. Diagonally from there, I think that’s the Phoenix, and all the squiggling across is the Hydra, I think.
“Could you point with your other hand instead?”
Sure, why?
“Good, now hold my hand with this one.”
I raise an eyebrow.
“Well, you weren’t going to try to first.”
And over there is the Smiley. And if you look there, like that, and there, you can see Spike and Cactus…, let’s see what else…
“Hey! Shooting star – did you see that?”
Yep. Make a wish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Ah, Melbourne. Aussie rules football and penguins, dim sum and photos of rainbows in black-and-white, spiked with cider and splashed with Red Bull for the jet lag, but that's my story. Thanks for reminding me.
I like the idea of swimming and stargazing. Hand holding. Sounds rather lovely.
Oh, and wine. Wine is always good.
I think we're just going to have to send you around the world to all of these romantic places you are writing about. I love the idea of swimming with the dolphins. It's so much better than catching them in tuna nets. And a glass of wine in stillness is a perfect way to end a perfect day.
K - Is it possible to read that story anywhere (I checked, it's not in my notebook)? I'm being bombarded recently with examples of there only being a finite number of stories but an infinite number of characters.
K (again) - And summer, especially tends to leave one a little in something hard to define.
B - I wouldn't want to repeat some, maybe you could come up with some new ones for me to go to. After all, the place doesn't matter, it's how we put ourselves into the place and the people we chose to travel with. Almost like writing...
Our daughter spent 6 months in Melbourne - attended U of Melbourne as an exchange student. Sydney is more beautiful, but Melbourne a lot more interesting. Don't recall any Dolphin stories, but she may have just missed out on that. She did however try sky diving in New Zealand. Called us at 2 AM to say, "You won't believe what I just did". We were both glad she called after and not before.
So, if the locale doesn't matter, here are a couple challenges for you:
* Bangladesh ( i was actually there once)
* Liberia
* Egypt would make a good setting - try Luxor (i was there once for a day)
p.s. What's with the German?
D -
You should tell your stories.
As to the Deutchspreche, well, maybe I need to be more careful about who I tell my secrets to. What's your hypothesis about the languages? You'll be able to test it, it's a consistent concept throughout the works.
If it's anywhere, it resides in my journal. The fluffy blue one with crocheted flowers and places where crocheted flowers once lived.
My problem is too many stories with just one character.
That sounds funny. I mean, I cannot even seem to capture all of my own stories. I leave so much out. I cannot imagine trying to include the other views, other aspects, of other characters.
That's part of what you were saying about life being a creative enterprise -- it's impossible to experience everything, inconceivable to express even just all of what we experience, so we have to choose which to experience and which to share. Perhaps our "self" is best described by the way we make those choices. It does sound funny/incomplete, I'm still trying to work it out too, and expect to fail to understand it in the end. Gonna make the most of the uncertainty though.
You underestimate your own stories, there is always more than one character in them: the readers are.
Love the ending, reminds me of a July 4th Day.
Post a Comment